If you’re a beginner like me, you have no idea where to start. So let’s talk about what you need to get started. I’ve put together a list of things I’ve found to be essential items for sewing. Hope it helps you get started. Amazon is a great source for purchasing your supplies, especially if you don't have a local craft store.
1. Sewing Machine – I found a good deal on Amazon with this Brother XL2600i. I didn’t want to spend too much on a machine not knowing if I would like sewing, so I bought this. It's working like a charm.
2. Scissors – This is a must have you need at least two pair. You need one for cutting fabric and another pair for cutting paper. NOW HEAR THIS!! NEVER, EVER, EVER CUT PAPER WITH YOUR FABRIC SCISSORS!!! (This is no joking matter) Let it be known, if you catch anyone using your fabric scissors for anything other than cutting fabric, their hands will be cut off with the same scissors they defiled…hahaha!!! Just kidding…I’m not suggesting you do that. Nor am I an advocate for violence. That would be a crime. Please understand, I do not have bail money or book money for you when you go to jail…LOL!!
3. Cutting Table – This will prove to be a very good investment. Cutting on the floor or on your dining room table is not fun. That is back breaking work and it makes you not want to sew A thing…IJS!!
4. Seam Ripper - OMG!! You are going to need this! As a beginner your stitches will not be as straight as you like and you will stitch some seams wrong (especially pants). So get a good seam ripper and check out the videos on you tube that will show you how to properly use it.
These items are just helpful to have when first starting out.
5. Seam Gauge/Ruler
6. Straight Pins, Safety Pins and a Pin Cushion
7. Pattern weights (looks like plain old washers) if you prefer not to use pins in your pattern pieces
8. Marking Pens or Tracing Paper and Tracing Wheel
9. Needles, Thread and of course Fabric.
There are tons of other supplies you will acquire as you grow as a seamstress but for now this will at least get you started.
Thanks for reading
Stitching Fit Chics!
Leave a Reply.
Let me introduce myself. My name is Sonya and I’m an aspiring seamstress on a journey to learn to sew and in the process stay healthy and get fit and travel the world.